The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

First Page | Prev Page
Entries 201 - 220 of 219

Beloved Gizmo

He was a dog someone decided they didn't want and left him in our subdivision. He followed me home and the rest is love.

When Gizmo came into our lives he was 2-3 years old. We had three Yorkies; one was almost blind. Gizmo became her eyes. He would guide her around the yard for the next two months of her life.

Gizmo, when I hurt my hip and had trouble walking, you slowed your pace so you could stay by my side. You were my buddy, always checking on me and making sure I was all right.

You watched over the grandson with loyalty and love. They still look for you even though you've been gone nine months.

You wondered into our lives with trust and love. You were the best friend we could have asked for. We miss you so very much. We only had you for 11 short years. We know you are waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge. We love and miss you, old Friend.

Until we meet, again, Paul and Mary Whitaker.

Top of page


Words can't express the grief I am feeling not having my Remy to hold. He was such a special boy, and my love.

Remy was surrendered to me by a breeder because he was born with a liver shunt. I was blessed to be his foster mom. At 4 1/2 months old Remy had his liver shunt surgery...the vet said Remy's liver was the worst he's seen, it was like a stone...so shriveled and hard. He didn't know if it would regenerate itself, only time would tell.

Remy was a fighter, he wanted to live and pulled through the surgery. His liver regenerated enough for him to enjoy life and find a loving Forever Family. I wasn't sure I wanted to let him go, but I did. At 10 months I adopted him to a loving family in California. I met his new mom Cheryl at the airport. I knew she would love Remy as much as I did...but watching them leave to catch their flight, I burst out crying and knew I made a huge mistake...I wanted Remy back!

My hope for having my Remy with me came true 4 days later. Remy wasn't getting along with her other yorkies...maybe it was his way of saying "I want to go home." God blessed me once again...Remy was coming home! I flew out to California 3 weeks later and brought him back to his family. As soon as I pulled onto our street, Remy knew where he was...he raced up the sidewalk calling for his brother and sisters...it was such a beautiful reunion. When Remy turned 1 year old, I adopted him. I was the happiest mom in the world!!

For almost a year Remy was doing well, but starting the 2 year he was having many problems. He had developed bladder stones twice and had to have surgery. He became paralyzed from a medication an emergency vet put him on because she said his legs were bad. What I much later found out was that his shunt clasp had opened up slightly and that he had developed smaller shunts that were inoperable. My heart broke when I heard this. He was put on medication to help with the ammonia...it worked for awhile...he got his fun personality back, but eventually it stopped working. He became more withdrawn, but aggressive at the same time. Remy would be laying peacefully by me, and then out of nowhere would bite me...as soon as he did, his eyes would go dead and his tongue would stick out of his mouth quivering, and his body would shake. For six months we watched Remy go through this...we didn't know if he was in pain during these episodes. After many many tests and talks with his vet and the clinics pet behaviorist, I made the hardest and saddest decision I've ever had to make...

April 9, 2009 I was with my Remy when he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. The pain of letting him go will never leave my heart...as soon as he passed, I wanted him back. I held him and looked into his eyes, and stroked his soft fur. My heart is breaking, and the days are so empty without Remy, but I thank the Lord for giving him to me to love, if only for a short time. My life will always be blessed because of Remy. I will forever see Remy playing hide and seek outside, and him lying in his special spot under this one evergreen by the deck. My life will never be the same... I Love You my precious boy, there will never be another you...your momma - Wendy

Remy, you will forever be in my heart, soul and mind.

March 29, 2006 - April 9, 2009

Top of page



April 25, 1998 March 6, 2009

Dear little Monty was a tiny three pounds but such a mighty spirit. After all, he was named for the famous Field Marshall and always knew he was special. When my friend Doreen and I first saw Monty it was clear he had discovered that as runt of the litter he had to put up a big front. He won our hearts that day and continued to win hearts all his life, even through his final illness. He loved to play catch and to speed down the hall of my condominium after we came in from a walk. He was a good traveler visiting family in California and finding adoring friends in France. He was much loved and loved in return with all his heart. How could a creature so small leave such a huge hole in a life? I miss him so and know he will be waiting for me on the Rainbow Bridge.


Top of page


Tutie came into my life over 5 years ago, She was 8 weeks old and sooooo happy to see someone take her home...Tutie had a fun way about her! Loved for me to put the top down on the car so she could stand up in her car seat and see everything that was going on.(she loved to have the win blow in her fur) Tutie was a little spoiled "That's OK" . When time to go to work she was ready, Stayed all day even went into the store and helped the staff with their day..They also got a real kick out of her....Then when she tired of them she would run into her mom's office! " What a Laugh"......When she was bored she would mosey across the hall to visit with my son Jason and of course he would pick her up and give her a good message, which is what she was looking for! Stacey my daughter and the Cat Tobie would Tutie set sometime where she became even more spoiled "That's OK Too!"

A few trips to Delray FL to visit my son Robert and his puppy's and boy oh boy what fun! A very good, sweet little girl she was. I could go on and on......

When she died Dec 4Th 2008 of stomach cancer we were shocked....

We miss her!!

Top of page


Lenny and Shannon


Lenny was a 10 y/o, 7# deaf little yorkie boy who touched so many peoples' lives. He was pulled by UYR from a high-kill South Florida shelter and spent 6 months in loving foster care before he was adopted by the most wonderful, patient, loyal FURever mom a pup could ever know.

Lenny was renamed 'Bear' - he didn't mind since he was deaf! He spent the rest of his life knowing love and how it felt to be treated like a little prince. A few short months after his adoption, it was learned that Bear had a brain tumor which ultimately took his life. Lenny Bear went to the Rainbow Bridge knowing immense love..... and that he was very, very special. He really had transformed in both appearance and personality from the day he was rescued. Most importantly, he had changed from a dog who did not like to be cuddled or touched into a total lovebug. Bear was a blessing and showed everyone he met that dogs with "disabilities" still deserve a chance.

Top of page


A sweet face that will be missed


It's very, very sad when you lose a dog to a totally preventable disease. Little Charlie was just another stray dog, found wandering the streets of Miami with nobody to care for him, and no shelter from the Florida heat and rain. He was picked up by Animal Control and although he was totally adorable and friendly, no one came forward to claim him - or adopt him. Even though UYR rescues yorkies, there was something about Charlie that stole the heart of the FL UYR Team - he was rescued as a "Yorkie Wannabe" - the term we use to describe the countless little dogs who deserve to be saved, even though they lack any true yorkie characteristics.

Charlie was a special little boy indeed. He thrived at first in his foster home, played with his foster brothers and sisters, cuddled with his Foster Mom and Dad, and just proved to be an easy-going, grateful little soul......Foster Mom said he was such a little gentleman in the home. About a month after being rescued, however, Charlie had a seizure which was ultimately the first of many more to come. He was immediately rushed to the emergency vet, and then on to two different vets. During these hospitalizations, he was observed for several days, having every imaginable test to determine what was wrong, only to find out the awful truth at the end. Charlie had Distemper. His Foster Mom & Dad, along with everyone on the UYR Team in Florida were very hopeful that Charlie would be one of the lucky dogs that sometimes can recover from Distemper. But it wasn't meant to be - Charlie had suffered such significant neurological injury that he had no hope of recovering. His Foster Mom went to the vet's office every day to bring Charlie the cooked chicken he loved........up until that final, awful day, when she stayed with him for one last time.

Charlie was vaccinated at the shelter against Distemper, but it was thought he must have contracted it very shortly before making it to the shelter. Charlie left many heartbroken rescuers behind, who shall never ever forget this precious little soul who only wanted to show how grateful he was to have been rescued and loved. We all miss you, little Charlie. You never knew how many people prayed for your recovery, and how many lives you touched. God Speed our little friend.........you shall never ever been forgotten....

Charlie didn't have to die; he deserved so much more in his life; he deserved a better family who cared about him enough to give him a simple and inexpensive vaccination.....if you are reading this tribute to Charlie, please make sure your pets are vaccinated against this killer disease. Give your beloved pets this gift of life.............and don't condemn them to die the horrible death of Distemper.................

Top of page

Alphie will be missed


Alf, the dog with many names, went over the bridge this morning. His foster dad and foster mother were at his side to help him cross. He is now in a warm place and has friends to play with. He has shed his old, crippled and abused body for a new young one that can play, see and hear. He can love again. There are no mean people in this place, and he is very grateful for that.

We want to thank all the kind people who helped with his care. He came to us in August of 2007. The poor guy had been abandoned in a local oil field. It was obvious the little guy had never been loved. We did everything we could to make him happy his last year on earth. It is the kind donors at UYR that make this type of rescue possible.

I look forward to seeing you at the bridge, little dude. I know you will recognize me, I hope to recognize you in your new body.

Farewell for now Alfredo Sauce. We'll see you again someday!

Foster dad, mom and the yorkie herd.

Top of page

Cayman stills run on the Rainbow Bridge


Cayman came into rescue as an owner surrender in March 2008, He was only 1 year old. He was a very loving sweet little guy. He brought alot of Joy to my home as his fostermom. Cayman found his wonderful forever home in March 08. He was very much loved and will be missed

RIP Little Angel

Top of page

Katie Ann
Katie Ann

Katie Ann

Born 1995

Died 2008

This is Katie, she was a special girl in my life and meant so very much to me and my family.

She started out as a stray, eating out of a garbage can; she was about 5 weeks old at the time. I took her in and from day one she was special. A week after I found her, my grandson was born. Katie was in the car at the hospital so my grandson always claimed that he and Katie share a birthday, according to him that became her birthday too and so that was how it was.

Her life was wonderful, and full of love. I never let anyone or anything put her in jeopardy, what ever it took to protect her that is what I did. She did the same for me.

She was always at my side and I called her "my best girlfriend". She was a mixed breed but when people would asked me what she was I would say "She's a Daingerfield, very rare breed", my father started that when I found her in the town of Daingerfield,Tx.

She will truly be missed by my family.

She is always with me, in my heart and in my thoughts. I trust God to take care of her until I get there to have her with me again. Thank you, Lord for adding her to my life, she was a true blessing.

Top of page


Toby Nicholas Thomas

August 17, 1993 - January 19, 2008

It has been three weeks since our Toby went to Rainbow Bridge. Our journey with Toby started on June 28th 2003 when we took a trip to visit Toby at his foster mom's house in Rootstown Ohio. Louann invited us to visit after we filled out an adoption form.

Our trip was intended to see another fur baby named Nicholas. When we arrived Louann had informed us that Nicholas had been adopted but she had another beautiful baby named Toby. For us, it was love at first sight. However, we didn't have any choice. Toby chose us the second he met us.

Toby was 9 years old and beautiful. His birthday was coming up in August and was the same day as mine. At 10 years old, Toby was still going strong. We would come home to find that Toby wasn't content having two thirds of the house to roam while we were gone. Toby wanted the whole house and would jump the baby gate intended to keep him secure and we would find our little guy sleeping in our bed. We eventually adopted another little girl from Pat in Maryland. Toby and Tia were instant friends.

After we moved to Florida, Toby ended up with two more kids so then it was four. Toby, Tia, Jake and Keebler. What a handful. Each getting their own special love but all sharing Mom's lap and our bed.

Toby turned 14 this past August and his age was starting to show. Eventually, Toby slowed and his temper grew more sour but he always had a kiss for me and Mom.

Sadly, on January 17th, Toby started to have severe seizures so we rushed him to the Dr. Then the following day, Toby had a seizure which lasted 35 minutes. We again rushed him to the Dr who kept our baby overnight. On Toby's last day with us he was in so much pain just crying and howling.

We knew the time had come and that Toby was hurting to much. We took one last drive to the Dr who with loving care, allowed us to hold our baby while he went to sleep. Toby quickly went to sleep forever while we cried. I know we were crying due to our own selfishness but Toby was our first baby and we didn't want to let him go.

Toby was laid to rest near our front door with his head towards the door so he can always come in. Toby is now at the Rainbow bridge, playing and running with out pain just waiting for me and Mom to come get him. His brothers and Sister sometimes look for him and I just know they miss the little old man they loved so much.

Thank You UYR, Louann and Pat for all your help, words of encouragement and for allowing us to have shared our love with Toby.

Ernest and Vickie Thomas

Longwood, Florida

Top of page


Ozzie with his loving family


Ozzie Muffin Bear aka Little Mann crossed the rainbow bridge yesterday at 2pm. He went peacefully and gracefully in his favorite rainbow sweater and little bed.

We adopted Ozz two years ago from Carrie in Spokane Washington. We drove up from Bend and back in one day to get our little mann. On our way home we snuck him in my coat to a pizza place. I was worried he would get to cold in the car so I wanted to bring him in with me. He didn't seem nervous or scared when we got him or on the journey home. He was always a brave boy. He told me it was time in many ways towards the end.

Carrie named him Ozzie because of the way he walked. He would stumble around due to arthritis and other conditions. He walked just like Ozzie Osbourne. He got to know his name and would respond to it. I loved the way he would side wind his way around the house, little nails making tap dancing noises on the hardwoods. It made a particular rhythm. He was always musically talented:) Then on Christmas eve Mark was driving him to Black Butte Ranch for the holiday with the family and the Ozzie song "Bark at the Moon" came on. Muffin bear sat up in his bag and sang along. We knew it was his way of saying it was time and that he loved us.

Prior to this he had been crying all day and night. Mark and I did everything to console him but nothing seemed to help. He only wanted to hid under our bed and cry. We would hold him and bathe him, brush him, feed him but he just cryed and wandered.

We loved the after bath dance, trips in the car to California or the Oregon Coast. We loved how he thought he was the size of a Great Dane and would chase and bark at peoples feet when he didn't recognize them or they came too close to his little bed. He loved scrambled eggs and would go crazy for a crushed up piece of popcorn. He didn't have teeth so when he would get grumpy and try to bite me when I clipped his nails I would just chuckle. 3 pounds of fierce furry fury! He was perfect in every way.

I can't thank the UYR enough for saving this little man and giving us two wonderful years together.

He is in a better place now where he doesn't hurt, popcorn falls from the sky like snow and every morning there is a bacon and egg breakfast waiting for him and of course Ozzie is always playing on the radio:)

With love and gratitude

Top of page

Mindy will be missed

It is with much sadness that I must report that sweet FL Forever Ours Mindy went gently and quietly to the Rainbow Bridge on Saturday, December 15th. Her FO Mom Stephanie McQueen was so hoping that Mindy would be with her one more Christmas, but it wasn't meant to be..........below is what Stephanie wrote to someone asking about our FO program........I wanted to share it with all of you.....

I can not begin to tell you what a wonderful program (Forever Ours) this is. While many of our rescues happily go on to new forever homes, many come in who are un-adoptable or need special homes with more time because of physical handicaps. I had such a dog named Mindy. She came into my life all hunched over, from the Polk County pound, crippled, a scar on her back from a gasoline burn (used to treat fleas in backwards areas) with slight dementia and heartworm positive, and kept to herself because she was used to being ignored and neglected and forgotten.

Over two years, she became part of my family and, despite her blindness, would somehow find her way into the kitchen and trip me while i was standing over the stove, or make it to the door when i came home at night. she loved to walk around in circles in the back yard, and take a nap in the sun, and she loved my poodle Rhonda and would sleep next to her (even tho Rhonda didn't pay her much attention!)

Mindy required a lot of care & meds especially towards the end, but i had the time because I am single and have no children.

She had two good quality years with me, and then last Saturday died peacefully in my arms at the vet's office of old age. We gently euthanized her but she was already slipping away. She died knowing that she was loved and that she was precious. When I held her, she vocalized everytime i said her name. It is special little dogs like Mindy who so badly need our program as they cannot be adopted out because of their problems which require a little more time than many good people can afford to give .

thank you for making Mindy's extra two years possible. She finally learned what it was like to be treasured.

Stephanie McQueen, Mindy's Forever Ours Mom

Top of page


Came into rescue 12/2/06. Crossed the Bridge 9/30/07

Bruno was a very sick boy. When I first picked him up he could hardly breath from his teeth being so bad and he had Kennel cough. He barely weighed 9 pounds and should have been about 17. With the help of the UYR, and wonderful donations, we were able to make Bruno much better, On Tuesday 09/24/07 he became very sick again. So, I rushed him to the ER where we discovered that his body had stopped producing red blood cells, something that sometimes can be treated with steroids, which we tried. It was just his time. Bruno was a wonderful little guy who was so full of love. I will miss him sleeping next to me like a little a baby in my arms; he always had to have his head on my chest or shoulder and I would have a great view of his cute little face every morning. I will miss Bruno lots but I know he is feeling much better now. I want to thank UYR and everyone who donated to him and sent their love thru email. It really means a lot to me that he got to know what it feels like to be loved and have a good home.

Top of page


UYR Foster September 24, 2005 - September 2, 2007

It is with tremendous sadness to report that little Simon passed away on September 2, 2007. He was in the comfort of home, in his most favorite bed, surrounded by his four furry brothers and furry sister and his Forever Foster mom and dad.

I still remember the day the shelter called me and asked me to pick him up. I was in a state of shock at his condition when they brought him to me. He was nearly hairless and hardly even looked like a Yorkie. He really was a mess from head to toe. We never thought he'd live as long as he did, but then again, he was estimated to be 10 years old at that time. The vet determined he had kidney disease, mitral valve problems, and arthritis, among other problems. With medicines and TLC, we weren't able to reverse the problems, but make him comfortable and recognizable as a Yorkie in his final years.

When we moved to Missouri from Texas, I figured the trip would be hard on him. He did perfectly well, however, and did what he did best - sleep, nearly the entire trip (well, except for mandatory potty breaks). When we got to our new home, he was absolutely thrilled with his new yard and would take long adventures to check it out. Simon's had good days and bad days for nearly two years now, but over the last two weeks, it seemed his bad days were outweighing the good. He was comfortable, however, snuggling with his best buddy, Miles. The last two days, though, his appetite wasn't what it used to be and we knew his time was near.

Simon was one adorable little character. He never complained; except for if you weren't fast enough to put his food bowl down. Or when I'd take him for a walk and he wanted to go the other direction. He would literally hop a 180 degree turn and put his brakes on in protest. On his good days, he had a lot of spunk - I only wish I could have seen him as a youngster.

While it was terribly sad the condition he came to UYR in, I'm VERY thankful his final two years were lived as they all should live. I already miss little Simon and that little determined waddle of his that kept me chuckling each and every time.

Thank you UYR and all of the donors who have helped Simon live out his final two years with dignity!

Lisa, Danny, Joey and Max, Bubba, Miles, Tootsie and TJ



Top of page

Molly is dearly missed.

Our sweet Molly-cule has completed her journey here with us. We just can't believe it. We help her to the bridge at 6:30 this evening. I can't tell you how much she has meant to us. We have loved her with all that we are.

Molly spent the weekend at the doc's...she had pretty much stopped eating late last week and seemed pretty week. Well, she was in the final stages of renal failure. After 3 days of IV fluids, there was no improvement and the doctor recommended that we end her suffering immediately. Well, Eric and I couldn't stand the thought of her final days being strapped to and IV bag in a cage (with very caring and loving people around...but in an unfamiliar place, nonetheless.) So, we brought her home, took the day off of work, smothered her with hugs, kisses and lots of sunshine.....and then found a wonderful vet who came to the house and eased Molly's suffering as she lay in her favorite spot...the king-sized thrown.

I tell you, this doctor and his service was wonderful. It was just what Molly deserved in her final moments. She brought so much to us in the short time we had her. I can never thank you enough for what you do-which allows so many others to love and be loved unconditionally.

Molly and I will be attached at the heart forever!

Maureen and Eric

Top of page


Brandy at fireside


March 19, 1995 - March 31, 2007

Brandy was a two-time member of the United Yorkie Rescue "club". She initially came to UYR as an owner surrender in October 2005. She was adopted by an older lady, widowed, and was her loving companion for nine months, but her new forever Mom became very ill and unable to care for Brandy. Brandy was surrendered again to me for the second time in fall of 2006. Shortly after being surrendered, she started to drink excessively and urinate more frequently than usual - she was diagnosed with early stages of kidney failure. Several approaches to treatment were tried, but in January of 2007, with her blood values extremely high, we knew time would not be kind to this beautiful little lady. A prescribed diet which had to be syringe fed to her since she had stopped eating and daily subquetaneous fluids stablized her condition, and in February at her 30 day follow up checkup, there was encouraging results that the treatment was effective.

Brandy dominated her world, and that of those around her - she was a very independent and proud Yorkie. She loved her bed, her crate and her toys. Her favorite toy was a puppet of Mr. Moose from the Kaptain Kangeroo show. She gave him "hell" everyday and would drag him whereever anyone was to play with her and Mr. Moose. She would proudly sit at the top of the stairs going to the second floor as if she owned the place - so we let her think she did! When any family member would walk in the door, she would wail at the top of her lungs and do her own little circle dance of happiness - this would continue until she was acknowledged for her efforts of greetings! She liked to be walked alone, and she would decide which route and direction we would take, and heaven help you if you walked ahead of her - down her little butt would go until you moved behind her, then she would get up and proceed on the course she wanted to take!

Brandy got used to riding in the car with me (her foster mom), and she would sit proudly in the passenger seat, with her head up and the air blowing through her hair - she was my co-pilot, my companion, my best friend. She would talk to me at different times, and I always knew what she wanted - funny, I would listen to her and respond accordingly - but when I wanted something from her - she'd do what 'she' wanted! She never slept on the bed - she didn't like it, but was always by my side of the bed and would jump up on the side and talk in my ear when she wanted something - whether it was to go out or if she was hungry.

A few short weeks after Brandy's February vet visit, Brandy started to falter, and by the last week in March it was evident we could borrow no more time. Brandy told me in many ways, it was time to go - on one walk she tried to hide under our boat in the yard, covered for the winter, and the next morning she tried to hide under the deck - somethings she never would do.. she had her own room and she went into her room as I watched her crawl in and out of her beloved bed, her crate, and into her toy box where she sniffed and licked and nudged each toy - then she lay between all these items and looked at me - she had said her goodbyes. During our final ride to the vets, as I cried she snuggled close to me and tried to comfort me - we both knew it was time for her to find peace at the Rainbow bridge.

Brandy had an impact on me like no other pet ever has - I was blessed with her for such a short time, but that time I will never forget. She was, and still is very much loved - and will never be forgotten. Run fast and free my angel Brandy!

Top of page

Ginger before tender loving care from foster mom

Ginger as a Forever Ours

03/21/07: Little Ginger made her journey into my home on St. Patricks Day, 2006. She had been picked up as a stray, and brought into a local police department animal unit. With no identifying tags, and no owner to claim her, the police department called UYR, and I gladly drove down to pick up this precious little senior pup. She was estimated at 13 or 14 years old at the time, was blind, a bit senile and didn't get around too quickly. We took her in and provided her with a new home that loved her, until she could find her new forever family. However, with only 2 adoption applications submitted for her, and with her advanced age, I requested that she be designated a Forever Ours pup, where she could just stay put in a home she was now familiar and comfortable with, and live out the remainder of her life with me and my family. The UYR Board agreed it was absolutely the best thing for her. Ginger was a very easy-going and sweet little dog who liked to sleep most of the day and loved to eat; she never bothered any of the other animals in the home . She got excited whenever I came home and would get up from her bed to do a little dance, jumping and turning in all directions until she figured out where the excitement was. She dearly loved to eat, and I could also get her riled up like that around dinner time. While officially her name was Ginger, we called her Bumpie or Bumpers, since being blind and a bit senile, she frequently found her way around after bumping into things. This past Sunday, she started crying and becoming distressed. She progressively got worse over a very short period of time, and when I realized she could no longer walk, I packed her into my car and drove to the emergency vet. The vet felt she might have had a stroke and had lost permanent use of her legs. She was still in pain, and we all felt the most humane thing to do was to gently and quickly help her to the Rainbow Bridge, and not allow her to suffer needlessly. Ginger took her final journey out of my life 1 year and 1 day after she made her initial journey into it. She left a tiny paw print on my heart and she will always be fondly remembered as my little "Bumpie Bump."

Written by Ginger's loving forever foster mom Kari.

Top of page


Brandon has gone to the "Bridge."

It is with great sadness that UYR bids farewell to our Brandon. Brandon became a Forever Ours with his

wonderful foster mom, Meredith Timm, in 2003. He lived a full and happy life. His foster mom was with him

until the end, letting Brandon know he was loved and cherished.

03/03/06:I have been remiss in updating Brandon's profile, please forgive. We just have too much fun here. Weather in Florida has been great, Brandon sitting in the sun beams in the second floor bedroom. I will try and get a picture of this at a later date. He is slowing down as he ages. He can't climb the stairs at all and his favorite thing to do is sit on my 3lb. little girl Samantha. Samantha and Brandon are best friends. Samantha was also rescued by me from a bad situation.

Brandon's legs are weakening with age and so I do have to play with him to exercise his little feets. His favorite part is the doggie foot rub and tummy massage. He gets a warm bath once a week, which by the way he hates....

I showed him the fish in our pond last week and he was not interested until one floated to the top... yuck.....He took a real interest and wanted to bring it to me.

So long from sunny Florida. Meredith "Gail" Timm, Brandon's mom, Sandy Pagnotta and Pups: Chisum, Ozzie and Robby


Brandon is doing well in his Forever Ours home. This updated picture of him was right after he was groomed and he loves to show off by posing for the camera since he knows he's so buff then!

Brandon of course sleeps a lot more now (he also snores loudly!) and is a little cranky old man. He does love to be held and still can climb up the stairs to go to his upstairs bed. He has become moody with his eating and taking of meds. His mom gives him a teaspoon of fat free whip cream full of all his meds. He is very loved in his home.


Brandon was a little street stray when someone picked him up and took him to the vet's office, where he stayed for 6 weeks because his former family didn't come forward. The vet's office contacted one of our UYR members who happily picked up this little old man. Brandon is estimated to be between 11 and 12 years old, and only weighs 4#. He has cataracts in both of his eyes, but manages to get around pretty good. Brandon had a sonogram on 10/13, which revealed that he has gallstones, as well as calcification in his kidneys. He also has an enlarged heart. He will need to be on two different antibiotics for life, as well as a special diet and medication (Actigal) for his gallstones. It is hoped that the Actigal will dissolve his gallstones. In a follow-up bile acid test in mid-November, his results were much better. Brandon will need to stay on the same diet and medication that he's on now forever. Because he will require medication and close monitoring for the rest of his life, and because of his fragile medical condition and the necessity for routine testing to make sure he is stable, it has been determined that Brandon will remain in his current foster home as a Forever Ours pup.

Thank you to those that have helped us help Brandon!

Bobbye Davidson, Debbie Forsyth, Sonny Roche, Jewel & her Mommy, Emilie Hammon, Constance Pfeiffer, Susan Henry, David and Janina Greth, Paula Casey, Glenn Knight, Patricia Cumberledge, Marie McKibben, Ann Williams, Joan Monahan, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Dawn Machado, Jean deVegter, Sandra Allen, Jim Baker, Nelson & Lucy Starbranch, Joyce Sapp, Jim Baker, George J Carroll, Barbara Butler

Foster Mom: Meredith Timm - mtimm@tampabay.rr.com

Top of page


Whozit and mom


I found Whozit on a bright Memorial Day, 1991, dashing through traffic; with horns honking and brakes screeching to herald her arrival. The little orphan came right to me and adopted me on the spot. She was a scruffy, filthy, 13 pd. Yorkie & it took two days, four baths, a groomer & a buzz cut to clean her up.

Adopting people and pets; adding them to her fan club was something that came easily to Whozit Louise.

She always ran everywhere she went & my mother declared Whozit had "springs in her ---" because she could jump like an Olympian.

Then, 12 years ago, a van ran a red light, hitting my car and tossing Whozie into the passenger's door, nearly severing her spinal cord in two places and paralyzing her. Later, that day, after hours of surgery, she was sporting seven nuts and bolts down her spine and was the star patient at the emergency clinic. She wasn't supposed to survive, but she did. I was able to bring her home two days later. I thanked God every single day after that, that she chose to stay with me for a little while longer.

That summer she got her first set of wheels and Whozit was off and running. She wore the first set out and was wearing the second set out, chasing ducks, poodles and bugs, when she was diagnosed with heart failure on October 1, 2003. Her decline was too fast.

So, on another sunny day, October 9, 2003, we took "our little girl" to dear Dr. Bock's for the last time.

I miss you .... Mom

Top of page