The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

First Page | Prev Page
Entries 141 - 143 of 143

Ginger before tender loving care from foster mom

Ginger as a Forever Ours

03/21/07: Little Ginger made her journey into my home on St. Patricks Day, 2006. She had been picked up as a stray, and brought into a local police department animal unit. With no identifying tags, and no owner to claim her, the police department called UYR, and I gladly drove down to pick up this precious little senior pup. She was estimated at 13 or 14 years old at the time, was blind, a bit senile and didn't get around too quickly. We took her in and provided her with a new home that loved her, until she could find her new forever family. However, with only 2 adoption applications submitted for her, and with her advanced age, I requested that she be designated a Forever Ours pup, where she could just stay put in a home she was now familiar and comfortable with, and live out the remainder of her life with me and my family. The UYR Board agreed it was absolutely the best thing for her. Ginger was a very easy-going and sweet little dog who liked to sleep most of the day and loved to eat; she never bothered any of the other animals in the home . She got excited whenever I came home and would get up from her bed to do a little dance, jumping and turning in all directions until she figured out where the excitement was. She dearly loved to eat, and I could also get her riled up like that around dinner time. While officially her name was Ginger, we called her Bumpie or Bumpers, since being blind and a bit senile, she frequently found her way around after bumping into things. This past Sunday, she started crying and becoming distressed. She progressively got worse over a very short period of time, and when I realized she could no longer walk, I packed her into my car and drove to the emergency vet. The vet felt she might have had a stroke and had lost permanent use of her legs. She was still in pain, and we all felt the most humane thing to do was to gently and quickly help her to the Rainbow Bridge, and not allow her to suffer needlessly. Ginger took her final journey out of my life 1 year and 1 day after she made her initial journey into it. She left a tiny paw print on my heart and she will always be fondly remembered as my little "Bumpie Bump."

Written by Ginger's loving forever foster mom Kari.

Top of page


Brandon has gone to the "Bridge."

It is with great sadness that UYR bids farewell to our Brandon. Brandon became a Forever Ours with his

wonderful foster mom, Meredith Timm, in 2003. He lived a full and happy life. His foster mom was with him

until the end, letting Brandon know he was loved and cherished.

03/03/06:I have been remiss in updating Brandon's profile, please forgive. We just have too much fun here. Weather in Florida has been great, Brandon sitting in the sun beams in the second floor bedroom. I will try and get a picture of this at a later date. He is slowing down as he ages. He can't climb the stairs at all and his favorite thing to do is sit on my 3lb. little girl Samantha. Samantha and Brandon are best friends. Samantha was also rescued by me from a bad situation.

Brandon's legs are weakening with age and so I do have to play with him to exercise his little feets. His favorite part is the doggie foot rub and tummy massage. He gets a warm bath once a week, which by the way he hates....

I showed him the fish in our pond last week and he was not interested until one floated to the top... yuck.....He took a real interest and wanted to bring it to me.

So long from sunny Florida. Meredith "Gail" Timm, Brandon's mom, Sandy Pagnotta and Pups: Chisum, Ozzie and Robby


Brandon is doing well in his Forever Ours home. This updated picture of him was right after he was groomed and he loves to show off by posing for the camera since he knows he's so buff then!

Brandon of course sleeps a lot more now (he also snores loudly!) and is a little cranky old man. He does love to be held and still can climb up the stairs to go to his upstairs bed. He has become moody with his eating and taking of meds. His mom gives him a teaspoon of fat free whip cream full of all his meds. He is very loved in his home.


Brandon was a little street stray when someone picked him up and took him to the vet's office, where he stayed for 6 weeks because his former family didn't come forward. The vet's office contacted one of our UYR members who happily picked up this little old man. Brandon is estimated to be between 11 and 12 years old, and only weighs 4#. He has cataracts in both of his eyes, but manages to get around pretty good. Brandon had a sonogram on 10/13, which revealed that he has gallstones, as well as calcification in his kidneys. He also has an enlarged heart. He will need to be on two different antibiotics for life, as well as a special diet and medication (Actigal) for his gallstones. It is hoped that the Actigal will dissolve his gallstones. In a follow-up bile acid test in mid-November, his results were much better. Brandon will need to stay on the same diet and medication that he's on now forever. Because he will require medication and close monitoring for the rest of his life, and because of his fragile medical condition and the necessity for routine testing to make sure he is stable, it has been determined that Brandon will remain in his current foster home as a Forever Ours pup.

Thank you to those that have helped us help Brandon!

Bobbye Davidson, Debbie Forsyth, Sonny Roche, Jewel & her Mommy, Emilie Hammon, Constance Pfeiffer, Susan Henry, David and Janina Greth, Paula Casey, Glenn Knight, Patricia Cumberledge, Marie McKibben, Ann Williams, Joan Monahan, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Ann Williams, Dawn Machado, Jean deVegter, Sandra Allen, Jim Baker, Nelson & Lucy Starbranch, Joyce Sapp, Jim Baker, George J Carroll, Barbara Butler

Foster Mom: Meredith Timm - mtimm@tampabay.rr.com

Top of page


Whozit and mom


I found Whozit on a bright Memorial Day, 1991, dashing through traffic; with horns honking and brakes screeching to herald her arrival. The little orphan came right to me and adopted me on the spot. She was a scruffy, filthy, 13 pd. Yorkie & it took two days, four baths, a groomer & a buzz cut to clean her up.

Adopting people and pets; adding them to her fan club was something that came easily to Whozit Louise.

She always ran everywhere she went & my mother declared Whozit had "springs in her ---" because she could jump like an Olympian.

Then, 12 years ago, a van ran a red light, hitting my car and tossing Whozie into the passenger's door, nearly severing her spinal cord in two places and paralyzing her. Later, that day, after hours of surgery, she was sporting seven nuts and bolts down her spine and was the star patient at the emergency clinic. She wasn't supposed to survive, but she did. I was able to bring her home two days later. I thanked God every single day after that, that she chose to stay with me for a little while longer.

That summer she got her first set of wheels and Whozit was off and running. She wore the first set out and was wearing the second set out, chasing ducks, poodles and bugs, when she was diagnosed with heart failure on October 1, 2003. Her decline was too fast.

So, on another sunny day, October 9, 2003, we took "our little girl" to dear Dr. Bock's for the last time.

I miss you .... Mom

Top of page